Enable external email forwarding
Note: We're working to resolve an issue with email forwarding. If you see an error when you try to set up external forwarding using the steps in the Email & Office Dashboard, please wait an hour and try again. Or, follow the steps under the Microsoft 365 Defender tab.
As a security measure, by default, you can't forward email to accounts outside of your organization. An admin needs to turn on external email forwarding before you can forward Microsoft 365 email to a different account. Learn about admin roles from Microsoft.
- Sign in to your Email & Office Dashboard (use your GoDaddy username and password).
- Select Admin, then Email Forwarding.
- Select Forwarding Status.
- Turn on the toggle under your domain name.
- After it's done loading, select Close. You can now forward your email to external addresses.
Return to this page to manage email forwarding for your users, including to add, edit, or delete a forwarding address.
If you are having trouble turning on external forwarding in the dashboard, follow these steps to edit your outbound spam filter policy instead.
- Sign in to Microsoft 365 Defender using your admin email address and password.
- Select Anti-spam outbound policy (Default).
- In the right pane, select Edit protection settings.
- Under Automatic forwarding rules, select On - Forwarding is enabled from the list.
- Select Save. You can now forward your email to external addresses.
- Create inbox rules to automatically move incoming messages to a specific folder or assign an importance level. Learn more from Microsoft.